Should I notice anything diff w subutex

Anything about buprenorphine that doesn't fit somewhere above, fit it here!
tay1or78
Average Poster
Average Poster

Should I notice anything diff w subutex

Post by tay1or78 »

Hi, months ago I was getting suboxone strips regularly I've been taking them for years then found out I was pregnant so they gave me a script for subutex to switch to. I wanted to quit all of it at the time so I told the clinic I was done after that last script and cut ties. I had a miscarriage the next day, before I started taking the subutex. I told myself I still wanted to come off it all so I kept with my last suboxone strips and told myself I'd taper down with them and when they ran out id take the few subutex pills I had make those last as long as possible then make the jump. Im out of strips now so im about to take my first piece of subutex tablet just wondering if I should experience anything different with these from the suboxone strips. I know the chemical difference, but its been so long since I took anything new I guess I'm a bit nervous. It should feel the same, right?
rule62

Re: Should I notice anything diff w subutex

Post by rule62 »

They both contain buprenorphine. The generic Subutex doesn't have the naloxone in it but you won't feel any difference. I've taken both and can't tell them apart.

It would be much better to taper down off the films instead of the tabs but that's up to you. The slower you go, the better. The films can be cut into very small pieces vs trying to cut the pills. It won't be fun if you go too fast. We suggest a 10% taper every two weeks. That can take months depending on how much you are taking. Most people taper from the 2mg films.

Hope it isn't too hard on you.
Don't take yourself so damn seriously
docm2
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Post by docm2 »

Even though it is a tablet, it still must go under the tongue and allowed to dissolve. Don't swallow it like an aspirin. Keep the saliva in your mouth for 10-12 minutes before spitting it out or swallowing.
Rule is correct in that it is easier to taper with the films. Unless you gave the clinic a big FU on the way out the door they should welcome you back and work with you.
You didn't say what your dose was but if still at 2 mg a day when you quit you would still have a rough time.
Would need to go to a clinic anyway for comfort meds.
tay1or78
Average Poster
Average Poster

Post by tay1or78 »

Thank you so much for the responses. In hindsight I agree I should have gone through the tablets first then used the strips to taper with. I didn’t fully think this through I suppose, it was an emotional time when I left clinic. I just knew I wanted off. But I did leave on good terms in fact they’ve reached out a few times since asking how I am and letting me know I’m welcome back anytime. They didn’t like my plan of jumping off so abruptly. Today it’s been almost 48 hrs since I took my last piece of strip, I would estimate I was down to about 1mg pieces as an 8 would last me just over a week. I stayed like that for a solid 2 months or so. This morning I can feel the creeping hands of withdrawal starting to seep in. Part of me wants to just ride it out like this, part of me wants to break into the subutex pills, part of me wants to call the clinic and get back on the strips. Sigh, I suppose I’ll wait and see how much worse it gets. I guess this should have gone in the stopping sub forum section, oops.
suboxdoc
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by suboxdoc »

Agreed. The film makes tapering easy, as long as you have plenty of time -- at least a year. Two years is even better. I have people go down by 2 mg every 2 weeks until they get to 8 mg, and that rarely causes problems. After that, I have them stack 7 films each Sunday, and put one in each compartment of a daily pill organizer. That is the dose for each day. When they are ready, I tell them to use a scissors and cut a mm strip off the end of the stack of 7 films. Put one in each compartment, and when you get to that day, tear it in half and take half in the AM and half about 12 hours later.

After a couple weeks, start cutting 2 mm off the stack. And so on.

Do NOT advance a mm if you are still uncomfortable from the last reduction. Stay where you are until you are used to it. As your dose goes down, you may need to change to 2 mg film -- that makes everything larger and easier. You also may may want to tear a day's dose into 3, as the effect becomes shorter as the dose gets very low.

A pet peeve of mine... many people think that plain buprenorphine, the old 'subutex', is somehow 'better' than the combination med. I've argued, and I've heard it all. There is NO difference. Naloxone is not absorbed, and even if it was it has a very short half-life. It would be gone in 30 minutes, IF it was absorbed. It is there, supposedly, to reduce IV use. Even IV, the naloxone has an extremely minor effect. That is IF INJECTED. Taken the correct way, the ONLY diference is in your head. HONEST!